The 2017 SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge (BoCK)
You can find the 2017 SHRM BoCK and you can download a 72 page booklet of with more detailed and expansive information related to both the behavioral and technical competencies. This is a great resource to utilize to ensure that your 2017 chapter programming aligns with one or more areas of the SHRM BoCK… the topics and/or leaning objectives also may inspire your chapter to create a program to focused around one of these as well.
The SHRM BoCK organizes eight (8) behavioral competencies into three (3) clusters:
- Leadership (Leadership & Navigation, Ethical Practice),
- Interpersonal (Relationship Management, Communication, Global & Cultural Effectiveness)
- Business(Business Acumen, Consultation, Critical Evaluation)
Additionally, the SHRM BoCK organizes 15 areas of HR knowledge which comprise the technical competency HR Expertise into three (3) domains:
- People (HR Strategic Planning, Talent Acquisition, Employee Engagement & Retention, Learning & Development, Total Rewards)
- Organization (Structure of the HR Function, Organizational Effectiveness & Development, Workforce Management, Employee & Labor Relations, Technology Management)
- Workplace (HR in the Global Context, Diversity & Inclusion, Risk Management, Corporate Social Responsibility, U.S. Employment Law & Regulations).
What’s new for SHRM Certification? – you can view this hour-long webinar, hosted by SHRM Senior Vice President Alexander Alonso, to learn more what’s new for SHRM Certification, including updates to the SHRM BoCK for 2017. If you aren’t familiar with the changes that arrive in 2017 (or would like a refresher)…sign up for the webinar.
SHRM Foundation Scholarships – Certification
Individuals, SHRM Chapters (and State Councils) can apply for many of the Certification (and other) SHRM Foundation scholarships.
Running a SHRM Certification Review Course
Joe Rotella (Central Ohio) created a fun and quick video to encourage chapters to create and run their own SHRM Certification study groups in 2017.
Engage Your Chapter Members in SHRM Certification!
Take advantage of SHRM’s turnkey resources the SHRM marketing team has created to help you promote the SHRM certification program.
Click here to view the SHRM Certification section of the Volunteer Leader Resource Center (VLRC).
Promotional resources are provided for:
* Promoting SHRM Certification
* Promoting Certification Preparation
* Promoting Recertification
* Chapter & Cert Prep Partnership Resources
* Other Certification Resources
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions
SHRM’s Certification YouTube Videos
SHRM has great YouTube videos about the SHRM Certification that you can post on your Chapter website, include in your newsletters/emails to your members, and/or play before your upcoming meetings/programs. You can check out a few (around 2 minutes long) at:
Roadmap for the HR Profession
Have Questions about the SHRM Certification?
If you are thinking about trying to get a study group going in the spring 2017, but are unsure of how to get this going or what it may entail – we would be happy to assist you and/or share some best practices. Per SHRM, most study groups are kicking off in February 2017 for the May 1, 2017 – July 15, 2017 testing window…it isn’t too late to get yours set up!!! Please let us know how we may be able to assist you/your chapter/your membership with your Certification efforts.
Lastly, please let us know if your chapter is hosting a study group (or partnering with an educational provider) so we can post that information on our Indiana SHRM website.
SHRM has tons of great resources and ready to print pieces (you can even co-brand them with your chapter.)
If you have questions about Certification, please contact Jennifer Lange.